Sunday, January 20, 2008

Studio Space

Well.. its been a while but I told myself no blogging until I was done "organizing the house" before this next semester starts & A HUGE part of that was my studio space. I am going to be pushing myself creatively in and outside of my classes this next semester and nothing helps jump start creativity more than re-organizing my space. just going through all my art supplies and doing the whole "oh-yay-i-forgot-i-even-had-this" & "ahhh-i-love-these!" gets me ready to jump back in! So i read this book:



over my "vacation" and I grabbed a few really helpful ideas:

First thing i did was separate out all my "themed supplies" so that meant papers, embellishments, ribbons, everything! and each major theme got its own drawer. This way if I am working on any project that is themed I just pull out the appropriate drawer, I love this! I put together a little birthday project and card in no time! There was no "oh I think I have a little something birthday in with my ribbon or embellishments or whatever!" I knew exactly what I had because it was right in front of me, no more searching!

I got these drawer units at target and just made my own labels to fit with sticker paper
Next, I made and inspiration box. I have a love for magazines... I probably get it from my mom who let me dig into her Martha Stewart Livings, Home Companions, Os, Real Simples... well you get the point WE LOVE OUR MAGAZINES! My mom also taught me a super valuable trick:
tear out what you LOVE and then GET RID OF THE REST!
I generally read a magazine once through and then go back and tear out the pages that have something (could be anything) inspirational, cleaver, neat, ect. and then we throw away the actual magazine. If we didn't do this I think we could build a good portion of the great wall with our magazines! whoa.
So the only problem was that I was left with piles of mag clippings, one for home, one for scrapbooking, one for photography, and the list goes on... and that just really was no help. So now each category has a file in my inspiration box (which was a steal at target! yay for clearance office supplies!) This way when I am in a particular crafting mood but need just a little project inspiration I just pull the file, use the idea, and then toss the make room for fresh clippings!


One of my favorite ideas was to organize by color. HELLO?! why didn't I think of this before, this is after all how we craft right? We build projects by color and we design by color and on and on... so I have separated all the embellishments by color as well as the ribbon. Its been so much more productive its just amazing, I can truly say this will change your crafting WORLD!

So now the fun part... DECORATING! working on a few decorative touches to give the studio some much needed eye candy! More pictures to come soon!

1 comment:

Jenna said...

it looks awesome!!! i think i'll do that color thing too. i just need a little more room! and i've been doing that tear out thing with magazines too. your studio looks ready for some crafty goodness!!!