Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Sweet Potato Pancakes and Pumpkin Pie Spiced Applesauce




   Last week I had a random craving for fall pumpkin pancakes but being its summer there is of course no pumpkin to be found in the house. Feeling too lazy(I blame summer!) to run out for pumpkin I decided to try and make it work with a substitue tub of leftover mashed sweet potatoes. I made a batter with a basic pancake mix and simply added the left over mash. The pancakes were tasty, not the same as pumpkin pancakes but definitely filled the craving. And, since Im not a fan of syrup(gasp, I know, I'm weird)I topped them with the Pumpkin Spice Applesauce I made the day before. 


   The applesauce is the easiest thing I've made in a long time. I ran a pile of apples through my old apple peeler, threw them into the slow-cooker, added a splash of water and a spoon of pumpkin pie spice, and let it cook all day.  In the end your left with the tastiest fall spiced applesauce ever!



   I realize this was a breakfast more suited for Fall and maybe I'm getting ahead of the summer but I'm blaming all this East Coast summer rain for mixing up my seasonal kitchen cravings. Am I the only one thats mixed up by this weather? Whats your favorite thing to eat out of season?

No comments: