Friday, August 16, 2013

Cod with Chorizo & Oregano Breadcrumbs


   I’ve seen a handful of fish & chorizo recipes surface on pinterest, cooking sites, and magazines lately and I thought I’d post my version of this perfectly spicy dish. I’ve kept this super simple(only 1 pan!) and used the fat from the chorizo to cook the cod. I don't understood why anyone would trash it and then add additional oil back into the recipe. Its full of flavor and its already in the pan?! I guess I can thank my grandma for that since she taught us the same idea when cooking our morning eggs in a cast iron skillet with the bacon fat.




Cod with Chorizo and Oregano Breadcrumbs:

Ingredients:

2 Slices of your preferred bread
Salt and Pepper
2 Tablespoons fresh Oregano Leaves
1 Small Shallot, thinly sliced
2 oz. Spanish Chorizo, diced medium
4 Skinless Cod fillets

Recipe:
  1. Toast bread in toaster(or oven if you prefer), tear into large pieces, and pulse bread in food processor just until they form large bread crumbs. Season with salt, pepper, and oregano leaves. Set Aside.
  2. Cook chorizo and shallots in a skillet over medium heat just until crisp. Remove from pan with slotted spoon. Set aside.
  3. Season cod with salt and pepper. Add to chorizo greased pan cooking about 3 minutes on each side or until fish is cooked through(times on this depend on how thick your cod is cut).
  4. Plate cod topping each with chorizo and breadcrumb mixtures.










   Of course this recipe is delicious as is but with the summer heat and humidity ever present in NJ I figured a cold beer would be the perfect accompaniment. Q and I have  been trying a bunch of new(to us) craft beers since we learned our local liquor store lets you mix and match six packs of micro brew singles. Its been fun doing our own little tastings but I just couldn't decide which would be best for this recipe so I asked my dear friend John for his personal recommendation. Of course the beer he suggested was a perfect pair so I asked him to write the recommendation for the post:

   “The salt, smoke and spice of this dish require a beer that can hold its own to wash them down. Although it’s easy for me to lean towards IPAs all summer long  when Kate asked me what beer I’d drink with this meal my first thought was a Saison. Ommegang’s Hennepin is one of the best Saisons I’ve had and I felt it would fit the bill just right. You will taste the citrus and spice flavors and finish with the fruity funk of Belgian yeast leaving your tongue ready for another chorizo infused bite. (Saison Dupont should work well here too if you can’t find Hennepin)”

   Let us know what you think about the pair. Happy Friday blogland!

No comments: